Sunday, January 23, 2011

In Rethinking...



In rethinking my image, I've been thinking about how Dr. Ulmer characterized modernist painting last week. He said it has to do with kinds of fundamental motions. I'll take a stab at expanding that and say that it depends on the motion of the world. One of the things I find remarkable about cinema is how it can show us the play of the world on bodies. So, the majesty of Chaplin in The Pawn Shop is seeing a man absolutely master gravity (see, especially, the bit with him on the ladder, a moment emblematic of the cinema itself).

Anyway, what I'm trying to do with the image is to represent the natural world, its destruction via e-waste, and the simultaneous existence of memory in digital interfaces, themselves underlain by what seems like senseless computation.

I've come upon the idea of diffusion.

When I think of E-waste, I think of the burning of these material products and of the diffusion of their being into the air and finally into the lungs of nearby workers and flora/fauna.

When I think of the transition to electracy, I think of a subtle diffusion from one state to another (not a catastrophe but a slow but sure change...I think my generational positioning is rather unique because we got our first computer when I was an adolescent, so I have the memories of a computer-free childhood and kind of grew up into computing, I guess).

When I think of the process of these products being distributed to developing countries, I think of a diffusion of information. We catch mists of this insanity but only briefly feel it on our face, like a soft wind that, as it comes at us with thousands of winds, often feels like a maelstrom.

Oh God, I'm waxing poetic. Time to wrap this one up.

So: Elements: Nature, Waste, Wind, GUI, code. Logic: Diffusion. Means: Dissolves.

Coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment